Reading Week Part Two

After a good night sleep, some coffee, and a scarce amount of food, we all hopped on the bus to our next destination: Liscannor, Co. Clare. The bus took us through narrow ways lined with green and brown hedges. It took us through vast emerald fields, tilled or unkept, usually occupied by roaming sheep, horses, and cows. It brought us through the rocky and rugged land that  contrasted beautifully with the blue sea nearby. Giant grey boulders  everywhere stuck out from underneath like icebergs. It was mythical and violent, yet also authentic and peaceful.IMG_0908

After a well spent two hours of looking out the bus window, we arrived to the place we would call home for the next three days: Liscannor. We grabbed our luggage and plugged in our Airbnb into google maps. It was a little walk away, but in return we got our bearings of the seaside town.

Our cottage was snug and comfortable. It lay on the edge of a cliff, which offered not only a great view for an early morning tea, but also a good backdrop for group pictures! It was a classic Irish home.

The cliff
Me and the ocean

The next three days, we spent our time relaxing in the small living room reading or talking, walking around town or nearby villages, and just simply enjoying our little time away from Dublin.

Our friends

One day, we went to Lahinch, the town over, and walked along the boardwalk, looking outward into the ocean filled with surfing students being instructed by their teachers. It was a rainy day, but the weather in this part of Ireland usually changed every other hour, so it was bearable. We went into a local pub and I had an Irish beef stew. It was warm and inviting and exactly what I needed after the cold rain outside.

Lahinch

Another day, I went on a walk around Liscannor. The town center is really only four shops next to each other ( 3 of which are pubs! haha!), so it was a short walk. However, one of the shops was an art gallery and being a theater major, I had to show some appreciation to the local art. I walk into the shop and was struck with beautiful post-impressionistic paintings of the West of Ireland. I immediately got chatty with the owner there too. She was also the same person that painted the beautiful pictures on the walls. She had brunette hair and blue eyes with a little black paint smudged on her cheek. Her name was Ann Daly if you want to buy any of her art. We talked for 30 minutes, I bought some postcards to mail to my grandparents, then I just went on my way. One of my favorite parts of Ireland is the intimacy of the country and the hospitality of the people.

After 3 days, it was time to leave. We headed on bus back to Galway to catch the train to Dublin. It was a holiday spent well with friends.